Learning @ Home
Re-engage with learning in a home setting
As per Government advice, schools in Victoria are now transitioning to a remote learning model in term 2. All families are asked to keep their children at home to learn if possible. This site will evolve over time as we settle into new routines, receive new information and meet government directives.
“As we act to slow the spread of coronavirus, the message to students and parents of government schools is clear: all children who can learn at home must learn from home – with exceptions only in extremely limited circumstances. On-site learning will only be available for children whose parents can’t work from home and vulnerable students”.
All children, regardless of whether they are learning at home, or at school will follow a remote learning plan. This plan will be updated regularly. Please refer to communication sent by your child’s classroom teacher regarding this.
The transition to remote learning is a challenging one, but one that we are facing with positivity and commitment. Remote learning will evolve over time, as our community becomes more familiar and confident with the routines of learning at home. Over time, we will work together to improve the way we work as a team online to support you and your children. Our school is very well placed to conduct learning from home using the vast array of tools already adopted at St Thomas the Apostle School.
These GSuite tools include Google Drive, Slides and Docs as well as Class Dojo. We will also be adopting the use of Google Meet Video Conferencing, where teachers will be scheduling virtual lessons with students in small and large groups. Each morning they will log in to greet their teacher and register attendance.
Learning tasks will include a mix of offline (books, pen and paper, home materials) and online activities. Students will need access to an iPad (Prep-2 & 5/6) or Chromebook (Grade 3-4). All students from Years 3 to 6 have the ability to borrow the schools devices to use at home on receipt of a signed agreement. We also have extra devices that students in Prep to Year 2 can borrow if they need to. Please contact your child’s teacher to arrange to collect a device from the office.
Please read below, then click on your child’s year level button for specific information pertaining to their learning expectations for the week
Establish Boundaries and Routines
- The next two weeks are about establishing boundaries, routines and expectations of students, parents / carers and teachers.
- Children will need to log in to a Google Meet to greet the teacher and register attendance.
- Teachers will be available via email to answer questions and queries – please be aware that teachers are running video meetings all day therefore they may not be able to get back to you straight away.
- Parents in years Prep-2 will receive daily Class Dojo updates with information about specific activities so you can support them
- Children in years 3-6 will receive activities via Google Slides
- We encourage students to complete as many set activities during this time to enable a smooth transition to remote learning
- Click on the year level buttons below to access information about your child’s learning tasks for each week.